Atma Nirbhar Bharat scheme is also known as a self-reliant campaign introduced to domestic production and export and also to reduce dependence on imports. The aim is to make the country and its citizens independent and self-reliant in all senses. Five pillars of Aatma Nirbhar Bharat are– Economy, Infrastructure, System, Vibrant Demography and Demand. The term is using as an umbrella concept with regard to making India a larger and more involved part of the world economy, pursuing policies that are efficient, competitive and resilient, that encourage equity, and being self-sustaining and self-generating. Self-reliance as a phrase and concept has been used by the country’s former Planning Commission in multiple Five-Year Plans of India between 1947 and 2014.
India has been enacting policies and building institutions that promote self-reliance since the day of creation. Private companies and their products have been considered as fine examples of self-reliance in India encompassing sectors such as beverages, the automotive sector, cooperatives, the financial services and banking sector and the pharmaceutical and biotechnology sector.
On 12 May 2020, our PM raised a clarion call to the nation giving a kick start to the Atma nirbhar Bharat Abhiyaan (Self-reliant India campaign) and announced the Special economic and comprehensive package of INR 20 lakh crores – equivalent to 10% of India’s GDP – to fight COVID-19 pandemic in India. The government took several bold reforms such as
- Supply Chain Reforms for Agriculture
- Rational Tax Systems
- Simple & Clear Laws
- Capable Human Resource and
- Strong Financial System
The five pillars of self-reliant India/Atma Nirbhar Bharat are-
- System- technology driven
The Atma nirbhar Bharat stimulus package announced by the government consists of the following five sectors-
- Business including MSME
- Poor including farmers
- New horizons of growth
Features of Atma Nirbhar Bharat scheme
- Firstly, it aims to make India self-reliant in a holistic way.
- Secondly, slogans initiated under Atma Nirbhar Bharat include ‘vocal for local’, ‘local for global’, ‘make for world’ and ‘brain drain to brain gain’.
- Further, it allows the country to initiate a digital India scheme.
- Finally, five pillars of Atma Nirbhar Bharat are Economy, Infrastructure, System, Vibrant Demography and Demand.