On the basis of purpose of construction of reservoir,it is classified into three types:
- Storage reservoir
- Flood Control reservoir
- Distribution reservoir
- One constructed this reservoir to store water which flows during the high flow, during rainy season and one uses the same during the dry summer seasons.
- It can serve the purpose of irrigation, hydel power generation, domestic and industrial water supply.
- In some cases, reservoirs also help to control the floods.
- So on the basis of requirement, these reservoirs can be single purposed or multi- purposed.
2.Flood Control reservoir:
- To reduce the danger and the damage due to the floods, One constructs the flood control reservoirs.
- One calls it as flood protection reservoir.
- Generally these reservoirs are of single purposed type of reservoirs.
- One divided Flood control reservoirs into two types:
- Retarding Reservoirs
- Detention Basins
- Retarding Reservoirs: It has outlets and one does not control spillway by valves or gates.
- Detention Basins: It has outlets and one controls spillways by gates or valves.
- It is a small storage reservoir which one uses to make domestic water supply to the urban areas to meet the varying demands of the consumer at different period of a day.
- The one pumps the water into the reservoir, at a constant rate and one supplies it to the consumers when people reduces the water demand.
- And when the demand is high, one supplies water through the storage tank.
Interested in learning about similar topics? Here are a few hand-picked blogs for you!
- What is valuation?
- What is Project Planning?
- Construction Material
- Work Breakdown Structure
- Types of Dam