Applications of Nanotechnology
Nanotechnology is a small solution to many problems. You don’t even have an idea how are we surrounding by this nowadays. Nanotechnology have considered as the solution to our smallest to biggest problems. Certainly this microscopic universe have proved miracle for the world. Applications of Nanotechnology are countless.
Nano materials possess unique and beneficial, physical, chemical and mechanical properties. However, they are useful for a wide variety of applications. Following are the applications of Nanotechnology.
Firstly we will see the application of nanotechnology in Material Science
- Nanocrystalline aerogel being light weight and porous have applications in insulation in offices, homes etc.
- Cutting tools made of Nano crystalline materials are much harder, much more wear- resistance.
- Nano crystalline material sensors are useful for smoke detectors, ice detectors on air craft wings, etc.
- Nano crystalline materials are also useful for high energy density storage batteries.
- Nano-sized titanium dioxide and zinc dioxide is used in sunscreens to absorb and reflect ultraviolet rays.
- Nano coating of highly activated titanium dioxide acts as water repellent and antibacterial.
- The hardness of metals can increase largely using nanoparticles.
- Nanoparticles in paints change colour under the effect of temperature or chemical environment and reduce the infrared absorption and heat loss.
- Nano crystalline ceramics have applications in the automotive industry as valve lifters, high strength springs and ball bearings.
Secondly, we will see the application of nanotechnology in Information technology.
- For data storage nanoscale fabricated magnetic materials are useful.
- Also Nanocomputer chips reduce the size of the computer.
- Nano crystalline starting light emitting phosphors are useful for flat panel displays.
- Nanoparticles are also useful for information storage.
- In chemical optical computers nanophotonic crystals are useful.
Applications of Nanotechnology in Biomedical
Thirdly, we will see the application of nanotechnology in Biomedical.
- For ragging of DNA and DNA chips biosensitive nanomaterials are useful.
- Nanomaterials also have applications in the medical field like disease diagnosis, drug delivery and molecular imaging.
- However, Nanocrystalline silicon carbide has low weight and high strength and can use for artificial heart valves
At last, we will see the application of nanotechnology in energy storage.
- Nanoparticles are useful for hydrogen storage.
- Nanoparticles are useful in magnetic refrigeration.
- In fabrication of ionic batteries metal nanoparticles are useful.
In short, we can say Nanotechnology is helping us in both expected and unexpected way.
Interested in learning about similar topics? Here are a few hand-picked blogs for you!
- What are postulates of Quantum Mechanics?
- State difference between Stress and Strain?
- How can you explain Zeeman effect?
- What are Matter Waves?